DAY 1 | Afternoon & Evening
Head down to the docks for a visit with Friday Harbor's own one eyed seal, Popeye. It is a unique experience to be able to see wild life up close.
Head over to the Cask and Schooner Restaurant for seafood and other Northwest inspired dishes. For desert, treat your family to an ice cream cone or hot chocolate. Then, stroll around town and window shop while discussing the next day's activities.
DAY 2 | Morning & Afternoon
Take a picnic for lunch with you then head on over to Roche Harbor for breakfast on the pier at Lime Kiln Cafe. With fantastic views of the harbor (the kids will love watching the seaplanes and boats come in) and a variety of delicious breakfast options, the day is sure to get off to a great start. Take a stroll through the San Juan Sculpture Park at Roche Harbor which features over 150 unique creations by world renowned sculptors. Grab your picnic and visit Lime Kiln Point State Park (also known as Whale Watch Park) and be on the lookout for Orca and Minke whales, or visit one of the many beautiful beaches and create a fun scavenger hunt for the kids while you enjoy the scenery. And, remember to bring a kite!
DAY 2 | Evening
After a fun day, you're likely to be a hungry bunch. Check out a family favorite - Vic's Driftwood Drive Inn - for fantastic diner-style burgers and fries at a reasonable price. Make sure to finish dinner off the right way - with a classic soft serve ice cream cone or shake. Or, for an evening away from the kids, A Place to Play offers Date Night Childcare. Your kids will love the colorful, museum-like play area (pizza dinner included) and you'll get some much needed adult time. Reservations are required so be sure to call or stop by ahead of time.
Family Activity List
- Take a wildlife cruise to see whales, seals and more.
- Hike up Mount Young and enjoy the fresh sea air and beautiful view.
- Stroll through the 19 Acre Sculpture Garden at Westcott Bay Reserve at Roche Harbor.
- Visit Roche Harbor's beautiful waterfront gardens and shop. Enjoy its history, boats and restaurant.
- Get an ice cream cone and "people watch" while sitting on one of the many benches in Friday Harbor.
- Charter a scenic flight to get a bird's eye view of all the islands with Friday Harbor Helicopter.
- Go zip-lining up in the trees with Zip Line San Juan.
- On a rainy day or just to unwind with the kids, visit A Place To Play. An indoor play area much like a children's museum.
- Take a leisurely drive and look for wildlife. The island is home to deer, rabbits, eagles, wild turkeys, trumpeter swans, foxes and more. Some of the local ranches raise llamas, Scottish Highland cattle, ostriches, and alpacas. We also have a very special island camel named Mona (see if you can find her on Roche Harbor Road).
- Prepare a picnic and visit Lime Kiln Point State Park (also known as Whale Watch Park) and look for Orca and Minke whales.
- Visit the Whale Museum and Adopt A Whale.
- Take a horse ride at Horeshu Ranch in Friday Harbor.
- Enjoy a driftwood campfire at South Beach. Don't forget the marshmallows!
- Take your kids to a beach and hunt for various colored shells or driftwood that looks like animals.
- Enjoy the sunset at South Beach then lay back and enjoy the stars. See how many constellations and planets you can locate. You may want to bring binoculars or your telescope and a flashlight.
- Rent bicycles and cruise the island.
- Take your children to fly kites at the beach.
- Find a skipping stone and see how many "skips" you can achieve before it sinks into the water.
- Rent a rowboat or canoe at Lakedale Resort. Swim, fish or just enjoy the scenery.
- Rent a boat out of Friday Harbor and explore some nearby smaller islands like Turn and Jones Islands or go fishing.
- Take a walk on the Nature trails at Jackal's Lagoon.
- Explore San Juan County Park and Small Pox Bay (a great place to launch a boat, kayak and scuba dive).
- Go camping out at San Juan County Park (make sure to make reservations).
- Go bowling at Paradise Lanes in Friday Harbor.
- Explore some of our beaches for keepsakes: South Beach, 4th of July Beach, Jackson's Beach are great for beach combing.
- Make a driftwood fort at South Beach.
- During summer months, take your family to a drive-in movie at the fair grounds on a Friday night. Movies begin at dusk.
- Take your kids to the Toy Box for a new toy to commemorate their visit.
- Take your children to play at the park at the Fair Grounds.
- Visit American Camp and English Camp to learn more about the Pig War and fill in the Junior Ranger Activity Book.
- Catch a movie at The Palace Theatre.
- Observe sea creatures in a tide pool at False Bay.
- Pick blackberries in the summer - they are everywhere, huge and free!
- Visit Roche Harbor just before sunset for the flag lowering ceremony called "The Retirement of the Colors". Grab an ice cream cone and walk the docks too!
- Learn something new - take sailing lessons with All Aboard Sailing in Friday Harbor.
- Hop on the "inter-island ferry" and visit Shaw, Orcas or Lopez for an afternoon.