DAY 1 | Evening
Stroll through some of the local art galleries in town and purchase that perfect piece to remind you of your trip to the island. Settle down for dinner and/or drinks at The Restaurant at Friday Harbor House for a modern, comfortable dining experience featuring fresh local fare, splendid views of Friday Harbor and delightful cocktails.
DAY 2 | Morning & Afternoon
Grab brunch or an early lunch at Ernie's Cafe (open Monday-Friday) by the airport. As one of the busiest airports in Washington state, planes come and go consistently so there's never a dull moment. This owner-run establishment is frequented by locals...and for good reason! If the weather is icky or you just need to relax while the kids expend some energy, visit A Place To Play for an afternoon of fun and games in an indoor play area much like a children's museum. Or, visit the Whale Museum and get acquainted with the different species of whales that inhabit the Pacific Northwest. The Whale Museum features two floors of fun & informative exhibits, galleries and a gift shop where you can learn about the Adopt-An-Orca program. Or, stop by the tasting room at San Juan Vineyards to sample an array of award winning wines, some of which are even made from grapes grown right on the property. Individual bottles, cases and home goods for wine lovers can be purchased right there in the gift shop.
DAY 2 | Evening
While on San Juan Island, be sure to indulge in some of the Northwest's freshest seafood. For an exquisite meal with a view that can't be beat, even on the rainiest of days, try Downriggers. After dinner, if the bar scene isn't your thing and you don't feel like heading back to the hotel quite yet, bring your evening to a close with a leisurely game of bowling at Paradise Lanes or catch a flick at the local theater.
Rainy Activity List
- Visit the Whale Museum and Adopt-A-Whale.
- Go on a bus tour with our friends at Jolly Trolley or San Juan Transit. San Juan Island became part of Washington State's newest Scenic Byway in April of 2008.
- Take a leisurely drive and look for wildlife. The island is home to deer, rabbits, eagles, wild turkeys, trumpeter swans, and foxes. Some of the local ranches raise llamas, Scottish Highland cattle, ostriches, and alpacas.
- Grab a bite to eat at Ernie's Cafe at the Airport. It's fun to watch the planes take off and land. Friday Harbor Airport is one of the busiest airports in Washington!
- Enjoy a play or concert at the San Juan Community Theatre.
- On a rainy day or just to unwind with the kids, visit A Place To Play. An indoor play area much like a children's museum.
- Visit The San Juan Islands Museum of Art (IMA) offer rotating exhibitions through our three galleries. Open Friday - Monday from 11am - 5pm with every third Monday free.
- Go bowling at Paradise Lanes.
- Catch a movie at the Palace Theatre.
- Visit the San Juan County Historical Museum in Friday Harbor. Located on the once expansive James King farmstead, the museum is an eight building complex comprised of original farmhouse, carriage house, stone root cellar, milk house, as well as the first jail in San Juan County.
- Discover the 1892 Community Church over looking the San Juan Valley.
- The Friday Harbor Veterans Museum showcases an extensive and unique collection of military memorabilia from San Juan Island Veterans. The displays are arranged chronologically starting with the Civil War and progressing to the current conflicts. Open during the Summer, Friday - Sunday 10am to 2pm.
- Pamper yourself with a body massage, manicure or pedicure at one of our day spas. Check out Lavendera Day Spa.
- Visit San Juan Vineyards and their wine tasting room. Their gift shop is open seasonally from 11 am to 6 pm.
- Stroll through some of the local art galleries and purchase something to remind you of your trip to the island.
- In early June, you can participate in the San Juan Artists Studio Tour. The self-guided tour introduces you to 20 or more working artists.