DAY 1 | Afternoon
Visit San Juan Island Distillery near Roche Harbor for a complimentary tasting of their exquisite spirits and ciders. The gins have a uniquely Northwest flavor profile with hints of Island Juniper, Spruce, Nettles and more, and the cider is made primarily with island grown apples. Support this local business and bring a bottle home to share with friends. Take a tour of Pelindaba Lavender Farms and learn how the lavender is harvested and processed. As you wander peacefully through the fields, don't forget to stop, close your eyes and relax as you let the smell of fresh lavender consume you.
DAY 2 | Morning & Afternoon
For a great start to your day, drop by Bakery San Juan or Cafe Demeter - both are Friday Harbor favorites. Grab a couple of their delectable pastries, muffins or a loaf of piping hot bread to go. Or, if you're more the lunch type, Bakery San Juan's pizza is said to be some of the best you'll ever have so make sure to give it a try!
A delightful stop as you circle San Juan Island is the Krystal Acres Alpaca Farm. Pet one of these cuddly creatures, take in the serene setting - reminiscent of the English countryside - and then treat yourself to a luxurious alpaca wool sweater, coat, scarf, or pair of socks from their gift shop. Take the afternoon to observe shellfish farming and processing at Westcott Bay Shellfish Company. They have freshly harvested oysters, clams and mussels for sale by the bunch to take home, or if you'd like a taste of the freshest shellfish on the island, there are a few tables where you can hang out and learn to shuck them yourself. Slurp! On Saturdays, our popular Farmer's Market for fresh vegetables, flowers, plants, honey and more. Here you can interact with many of the Island Grown Farmers who are selling their goods at the market and get the inside scoop on the island's agricultural economy.
Agricultural Activity List
- Visit San Juan Vineyards and their wine tasting room. Their Gift shop is open seasonally from 11 am - 6 pm.
- Visit the Alpacas at Krystal Acres. Pet an Alpaca and then treat yourself to a sweater, coat, shawl, or a scarf from their gift shop to remind you of your Island adventure.
- Tour Pelindaba Lavender Farms. Offering organic fresh cut lavender and many handcrafted lavender products. They have a shop in Friday Harbor and at the farm. Open 9:30am to 5:30pm daily.
- Visit San Juan Island Distillery. They offer tastes of their spirits every Saturday afternoon from mid March through December. They make apple brandy and exceptional gins with local apples, many of which they grow and harvest in their orchard at Westcott Bay Cider.
- Observe shellfish farming and processing at Westcott Bay Shellfish Company. They sell freshly harvested oysters, clams and mussels. If you would like to visit, they are open to the public Memorial Day through Labor Day, daily from 11:00am to 5:00pm. There are a few picnic tables for self-shucking, and there is limited bow-in tie-up on the dock for those arriving by boat.
- On Saturdays visit our popular Farmer's Market for fresh vegetables, flowers, plants, honey and more - from 10:00am to 1:00pm at the Brick Works Plaza (Spring, Summer & Fall Seasons - Every Saturday; November & December - Twice a month; January, February & March - First Saturday of the month). Many of the Island Grown Farmers sell at the market.