DAY 1 | Evening
For the perfect way to explore the coastline and see an abundance of wildlife, check out Springtide Paddlesports, specializing in Stand Up Paddleboards (SUP). They are located at Jackson Beach just outside of Friday Harbor and offer tours, classes, and rentals. Don't worry, it's easier than it looks! Or, take a leisurely hike up Mount Young to enjoy the fresh sea air and panoramic views of the Olympic Peninsula, Canadian Gulf Islands, Henry Island, Pearl Island, Spieden Island and Garrison Bay (great for kids and adults.)
Relieve the stresses of the day by meandering through Roche Harbor's waterfront formal gardens and pop into one of the lovely shops and/or restaurants for a souvenir or bite to eat.
DAY 2 | Morning & Afternoon
Get up early for a round of golf at the San Juan Golf & Tennis Club. If you're a real master of the links, test your skill at the annual San Juan Island Celebrity Golf Classic in June. If you're not the golfing type, explore one (or more!) of the many San Juan Island trails where you're sure to see a variety of wildlife and enjoy fabulous viewpoints. To really slow down and enjoy the scenery, rent a bicycle and cruise the beautiful island roads at your own pace. Or, there's no better way to explore an archipelago than by boat. Rent one from Island Boat Rentals and explore some of the closer small islands like Turn and Jones Islands, and try your luck at fishing.
DAY 2 | Evening
Join Discovery Sea Kayaks for a serene evening along the shores of San Juan Island. A sunset kayak tour is a great way to end the day for couples, friends and families alike. Or, stroll through the Northwest's largest Sculpture Garden at Westcott Bay Reserve and marvel at over 150 unique creations. The park is set on 19 acres of land with a gorgeous natural pond in the middle, so be sure to bring a blanket and picnic dinner or bottle of wine and find a cozy nook to enjoy the evening.
Outdoor Activity List
- Bring your running shoes and explore some of the main roads and side roads.
- Go zip lining up in the trees with Zip Line San Juan.
- Try scuba diving! You'll need to stop at Anacortes Diving to gear up as there are no scuba stores on San Juan Island. Some nice shores dives are Small Pox Bay in San Juan County Park and Reuben Tarte County Park.
- Take a wildlife kayak tour with the experts at Discovery Sea Kayaks out of Friday Harbor for an unforgettable trip.
- Participate in a Salmon Derby. The Roche Harbor Salmon Classic is in January or the Friday Harbor Salmon Classic is in December.
- Play tennis for free at the High School's outdoor courts on Tucker Street.
- Landscape Cycles offers daily custom guided bicycle tours from Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor.
- Play a round of golf at the San Juan Golf & Tennis Club. The annual San Juan Island Celebrity Golf Classic is in June.
- Go fishing on one of our many lakes.
- Play beach volleyball at Jackson Beach.
- In June, Lakedale Resort at Three Lakes hosts its Three Lakes Triathlon to include an Olympic Triathlon, Olympic Relay Team Triathlon, Sprint Triathlon, and a Sprint Relay Team Triathlon. The routes traverse around and across the island.
- Springtide Paddlesports specializes in Stand Up Paddleboards (SUP). They are located at Jackson Beach just outside of Friday Harbor. They offer tours, classes, and rentals.
- Try some of your skateboarding moves at the Skate Park located at the San Juan Island Fair Grounds.
- Play baseball at the field next to the San Juan Island Historical Museum in Friday Harbor.
- Go hiking on some of the many San Juan Island trails.
- Play basketball at Sunken Park located up from the Ferry Landing.
- Rent a bicycle to slow down and really enjoy the scenery.
- Rent a boat and explore some of the closer small islands like Turn and Jones Islands or go fishing.
- Take a walk on the Nature trails at Jackal's Lagoon.
- Explore San Juan County Park and Small Pox Bay (a great place to launch a boat, kayak and scuba dive).
- Go camping out at San Juan County Park (make sure to make reservations).
- Go bird watching.
- In August, the San Juan Island Yacht Club hosts the Annual Shaw Island Classic. All eligible boats and crews are invited to participate. The course starts in Friday Harbor, heads around Shaw Island in either direction, and finishes in Friday Harbor.
- Go for a sunset sail on a historic wooden schooner with Schooners North.